Sunday, August 13, 2006


Our county fair showcases old fashioned values that are rooted in the land. The rows and rows of jellies, preserves and canned fruits and vegetables may appear quaint to those who never have had fruit trees or vegetable gardens. In Ventura County anyone can have a Meyer lemon or a plum tree in her yard. My ranch has a family orchard-- plums, peaches and oranges planted between the lemon trees along the driveway. When we first came here there were also apricots, nectarines and apples but those trees died of old age. Ben made a great apple pie. For years I felt guilty about all the fruit that wasted on the ground. I finally couldn’t stand it and learned to make jam. We also made apple butter. I still have some in the storeroom, fifteen years later. I wonder if it’s any good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home